Wednesday 25 July 2012

Tour Of Beauty: Wax Giddy-otic

Canmore. Mountain air. Last night's show was a glorious event. Wagons from Australia proved to be funnier than I had anticipated. I liken them to Nick Cave, if he had a sleeve-worn sense of humor. Great group of fellas, too.

The Communitea Cafe was more than accomidating, providing us with lovely, fresh food and smiles galore. Thanks Marnie, Erica, Mike and Rose.

Today, we travel to Calgary to enjoy a couple of days off. However, Calgary Folkfest is already on, and if I have to spend a night watching Beruit, Charles Bradley amd Chris Issak, well, I guess that will suffice. ;)

I haven't been to Calgary Folk in many years. I recall meeting Lucinda Williams and Steve Earle at the same time there. That will probably never happen again. Also, jamming gypsy-jazz songs I wrote with Jon Jourgenson of The Hellecasters (and some guy named Elton John) while bluegrass legend Earl Scruggs nodded along was a memory I won't soon forget.
I asked Jon, "Who are you here with?"
Jon replied "Earl Scruggs".
I then gushed about how much I wanted to meet him. Everyone around us started laughing, for a reason I wasn't privvy to. I recieved a tap on my shoulder, and an old hand was then outstetched in front of my guitar.
"Earl Scruggs. Nice to meet you."
He had been sitting beside me the whole time we were jamming.
He told me he enjoyed my playing, and I joked about how I wanted that statement in writing.
It was a meeting that will forever be etched into my thoughts.
No matter how much Wild Turkey made its way into my bloodstream that day (thanks, Carolyn Mark).

So, in lieu of these memories, Calgary Folk 2012 has it's work cut out for it. It will be nice to see Charles Bradley and his band again. Such nice blokes.

The night of our Saturday performance on the main stage finds us going on after Junior Brown (of git-steel infamy), and just before Gillian Welch and David Rawlings. Revival is one of my favorite all-time-cry-my-face-off records.
Listening to: Only One And Only by Gillian Welch.

Thanks for reading.
Kiss a friend on the forehead.

Dd


No comments:

Post a Comment