Friday 27 July 2012

Calgary Folk Fest: Day 1

Calgary. Surprisingly cooler in temperature than Ontario. As you may have read in my last blog, Calgary Folk Fest is very dear to my heart. We just played our first of 4 shows (3 tomorrow).

Our workshop consisted of us (The Beauties), Little Scream (from Montreal, fresh off the road with Beirut), The Barr Brothers (also from MTL) & The Magnetic North (Calgary).

The Magnetic North hosted, and did a fine job of leading the other bands through their material. Actually, every band did a great job of doing just that. Therein lies the biggest challenge of a workshop: choosing the right material that everyone can follow. Otherwise, it can become a jumbled mess, quickly. I played drums with TMN, and really got to dig in to their pop-in-a-blender sound.

The Barr Brothers were easy to enjoy, with their soft-yet-seasoned delivery. Their use of Pump Harmonium, Harp (yes, they had a giant harp on stage), and wild percussion (Waterphone anyone?) made for a myriad of tones and flavours. Plus, the song they dedicated to the late, great, Lhasa (who, evidentally, helped start the band) was nothing short of breathtaking. Oh, and their drummer SMOKED. Tasty chops to spare on that guy.

Little Scream was a pleasant surprise. They were essentially a female singer/guitarist, another guitarist, and a drummer. Air-y, thoughtful, angular pop; not unlike Beach House, The Cranes, and my favorite, My Bloody Valentine. Actually, comparing anyone to MBV might be the highest compliment I can give to a band. Yet, Little Scream maintains their own sound. I found them to be the least "conventionally accessible" band, but that's what made them so special. I anticipate great things from this crew.

I felt we more than carried our own, hammering through Devil Do & Without You with enough guitars to cripple the front row. The crowd responded positively, so, I guess we did something right.

I'd like to take a moment and say how greatful I am that Anna Ruddick is playing bass with us. Stepping into a position with a 5 year old stomping, clomping machine like The Beauties is no easy feat. I really feel like we are growing together as players, and with every show she gets better and more adventurous. I can't wait to get her singing more. She has been more than we hoped for. Thank you, Anna.

Tomorrow, we play 3 shows, including a mainstager for 16,000 folks with Serena Ryder. Not too shabby. Uhh, wanna buy a cd? ;)

Until tomorrow, friends.
Hold your heart high.
Dd
(Oh, did I mention Charles Bradley is playing at my hotel tonight? Bravo to The Weston!)

PS: Check out the Star Wars Lego rock concert someone made at the Artists Liason at The Weston. The little soundman is so cool!



1 comment:

  1. The blog looks amazing! Looking forward to reading more. :)

    Carolina xo

    ReplyDelete