Sunday 29 July 2012

Calgary Folk Fest: Day 2

Calgary. You have to love a city that has separate streets for public transit.
We started yesterday by playing a rousing set of 100% Beauties gems on stage 4 to a large crowd of folk fans. I think people enjoyed the change of pace, as we were one of the more "rocking" bands. At first we thought we might get rained out, but just before we hit the stage, the sun burst through the clouds. Thankfully.

After our show, we were part of a workshop with The Barr Brothers, Serena Ryder and Blackie & The Rodeo Kings. Wow. A remarkable myriad of talent.

(It should be noted that Colin Linden of BARK first inspired me to play standard-tuned slide many years ago, when I saw them do a secret show at The Horseshoe Tavern with Bruce Cockburn under the name Bambi & The Deerhunters.)

We all went song for song for a couple of rounds. Serena has performed and recorded with BARK several times, and played like old friends at a campfire. It was and honor to have all the groups playing along with "Play With Fire" while I sang and manned the keys. Hearing Tom Wilson's deep sub-tenor voice and Colin's unmistakeable slide work under my voice was possibly the highlight of my summer. Colin has played on some of my favorite records.

The Barr Brothers lead the last "jam" of the workshop: a beautiful re-working of Neil Young's "Don't Let It Bring You Down". Jud let me play his Gretch alongside Colin Linden. Double slides. I didn't want it to end, frankly. A perfect finish to a stellar set.

The great part of festivals is meeting up with other bands on the road. Jon Langford (of the legendary Mekons) is always good for a larf. As is Pokey LaForge and his band of misfit cowfolk. Junior Brown and his band showed us that you don't need a kick drum to deliver the country-fried goods. Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel showed us what NOT to do, by insisting the cameras on mainstage were off during his performance. I had never heard of someone clearing out 16,000 people before, but here we are. Bravo, pal.

Anyway, our mainstage performance with Serena Ryder was very well recieved by the capacity crowd. I still get teary-eyed when we get a standing ovation. I hope I never lose that feeling, ever. I am very fortunate that I get to do this. However, I don't consider myself lucky. I worked very hard to get here. Fortunate is the word I use.

So, off to Edmonton we go, playing Six Shooters' Interstellar Rodeo with Whitehorse and Blue Rodeo. Yet another stacked playbill.

Poor Anna (our bassist) just cut her finger open on a rented Traynor amp. Shawn just bought some Barbie band aids, and she seems to be in better spirits now. Barbie. Is there anything that gal can't do?

Music has never been a job to me.
It's hard work, but will never be a job.
It completes me.

Lastly, I would like to thank the thousands of readers who have already read these blogs. I am humbled, and thanks to everyone for spreading the word.

You actually gave me something to cry about.

Hold the hand of health.

Dd





No comments:

Post a Comment