Saturday 4 August 2012

What goes up...

...must come down...or, perhaps it gets crushed in the hold.
The bad news comes later in the blog. First, the good news from the past week:

Camrose, Alberta. A beautiful prairie town that's home to a couple of great music fests. We had the pleasure of playing at the brand new Bailey Theatre. Serena Ryder & The Beauties shows don't happen very often these days, so we made sure to bring the people something special. The crowd was a mix of young and old, and very open to different styles. Playing "The Funeral" is always a challenge and a pleasure. It's the best I've ever heard Serena sing, and it gives me goosebumps every time we play it. It's really the song that started me on my path of playing keys, drums and singing at the same time. We signed autographs for almost as long as the duration of the show. I am humbled by the affection.

After Camrose on Monday, we flew back to Toronto on Tuesday, where I went straight from the airport to AXIS. For the past 8 years, I have hosted The Junction Jam at AXIS ( Dundas West and High Park Ave.) every Tuesday that I am in town. Players come from all over the city for this jam/open mic. Sadly, the P.A. system stopped working around midnight, so an early end to the night was forced upon us. I hope they will have it fixed by next week.

Here comes the bad news: Somewhere between Edmonton and Toronto, my lovely Martin acoustic got crushed by the airline. Thankfully, my management at Six Shooter are on it, and I anticipate a positive outcome in the near future. I'll keep you posted as news comes in. I never thought it would happen to me.
I guess the lesson is "Never say never". I am hoping my insurance will cover this.

The rain kept pouring, as I had all of my weekend gigs pull out on me. Those are the breaks sometimes. One night you're playing to 10,000 people, the next you're scrambling to fill out your calendar because of a double booking, closed venue etc. In math, they call these things "variables". ;) Every now and then, you have to take a punch. The older I've gotten, the more I have learned about deflecting the cheap shots.

Last night (after a lengthy rehearsal with The Beauties), I got a last minute call to play bass with Tom Barlow and his fantastic band at The Bier Market on The Esplanade. It's funny how the universe works in your favour when you least expect it. Call it karma, call it chance, but all of a sudden I didn't lose a gig and I'm playing to a packed house of live music fans and dolled-up damsels. Despite the leaky ceiling, the crowd was really, really into it.

Tom Barlow is a consumate performer. His swagger and diverse repetoire make him a hot commodity for any establishment. I've always enjoyed playing with him, mainly due to his hard-working, fun-before-flash ethos. He sweats. That is important, kids. Most musicians could learn a thing or two from Tom. Tom looks like he's having fun, because he IS having fun. It's that projection that makes a show infectious. Never forget to enjoy yourself when you are playing, friends.
(Plus, he's a really nice guy, who puts others before himself. Thanks again, Tom.)

I have another "last minute" gig tonight (Saturday) at The Hole In The Wall. THITW is owned by some dear friends, and is already established as a staple of The Junction. Dundas West and Keele has never been this cool. The decor is reclaimed warmth, and the sound is surprisingly rounded and full. Plus, they have great booze, food, and fresh oysters (!). What more do you want?

Tonight, I'm playing a solo set opening for Young Running. I just produced an EP with them at The Lincoln County Social Club, and couldn't be more proud of their achievements in the studio. It's always a treat to work with a band who wants to be their own entity, and will work hard to get there. See them tonight, and keep your eyes open for them in the future. I anticipate success won't be far away. Their song "Coming Home" will coddle your core. I will probably sit in with them tonight on banjo and slide.

Thanks again for reading. See you tonight.

Subscribe to your soul.

Dd

No comments:

Post a Comment